RYAN´S SPACE OF CREATIVE AND CONTINUOUS HEALING!
- A space to inspire, reflect, and connect.
Dramatherapist & Therapy Services Manager, Queer Performance Artist, Writer, Speaker, Visiting Lecturer, Arts & Health Consultant
Hello, my name is Ryan Campinho Valadas. I grew up in Portugal, near Lisbon, and have lived in Washington DC, New York, Glasgow, and in London for the past 7 years.
I have been driven by creativity and altruism ever since I can remember thinking about what I wanted to do with my life. Curiosity and imagination were staples of my childhood experience: I was always reading, doing new things, wanting to know more, asking questions, yearning to understand everything, and everyone.
I was interested in how people functioned: their thoughts, their feelings, their motivations, the why’s and the how’s of their actions.
I was, and still am, deeply sensitive and intuitive about people around me, and people of all ages always came to me for advice, or always found themselves telling me their innermost thoughts and feelings.
GROWING UP AND BECOMING A THERAPIST
Growing up, I was susceptible and prone to many experiences due to my natural openness, empathy, sensitivity, intuition, and curiosity.
I have lived through many highs and many lows, and whilst many factors have influenced my sense of self, none has been more significant than the fact that I was born gay in a Catholic environment.
This led me to experience early life with an acute sense of difference and not belonging, therefore sending me on a quest to figure out why that was, and where I could find acceptance, validation, and love. On that quest, I also encountered confusion, stigma, intense bullying, and escapism.
Looking back, all the experiences I have lived through and survived have not only given me the insight and empathy, but the ability to stand strong alongside others who are going through their darkest moments. I am rarely shocked by people's experiences, because I deeply understand self-destruction, trauma, and hopelessness.
My therapeutic delivery and focus are not traits that I was trained to do, but life experiences for which I am very passionate about: they are not just professional, they include personal and meaningful experiences, and instances of emotional and spiritual healing and transformation.
ROLES & TITLES
- Peer-reviewed academic article on my research on HIV and intimacy (to be published in Autumn 2018)
- Memoir about the first 10 years of my life as an out gay man (currently being written)
- Articles about personal experiences:
- Reflexive Blogger:
- Let's Talk About Gay Sex and Drugs: Boyfriends & Gay Men: The Personal and Professional in Dramatherapy - 11th August 2016
- The British Association of Dramatherapists Annual Conference: Exploring the Margins - Circles of Visibility: Intimacy, Integration, Choice - 11th September 2016
- Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
PROFESSIONAL AND CLINICAL EXPERIENCES OF SUPPORTING OTHERS
- Foreign exchange students : Lisbon, AFS Intercultural Programs
- Forum Theatre Facilitator & Director: Glasgow, LGBT Youth Scotland
- Education Workshop Facilitator: Glasgow, Glasgow Caledonian University
- Child Care Camp Counsellor/Swimming Coach/Lifeguard: New York, The Fresh Air Fund
- Drama Workshop Facilitator: London, Action 4 London
- Role Model: London, Diversity Role Models
- Confidence & Resilience Program Facilitator: London, Role Models
- Trainee Dramatherapists, as Student Representative: London, University of Roehampton
- Dramatherapists, as Equality & Diversity Lead: London, Equality & Diversity Subcommittee at The British Association of Dramatherapists
- Student Mentor: London, The Kabbalah Centre
- Year 1 children with behavioural and emotional difficulties, autism
- Adults living with HIV
- Adults in recovery from alcohol and drug addiction
- Gay men
- Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- Adult survivors of trauma
- Adults diagnosed with depression and personality disorders
- Managing a therapy service in primary school
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.